Sunday, July 08, 2018

Digitizing Roco 43012 - Gear Cleaning

Before I replace the motor, I need to make sure that the mechanical part of BR601 works well. Since the starting voltage is quite high, I decided to give the gears a thorough cleaning. To do that I need to strip down the locomotive to the bare chassis.

I loosely set the new motor from SB Modellbau into the motor cavity and ran it with DC. Starting voltage was 4-5V. Definitely too high, which means that the gears are not running smoothly.

I pulled out all the gears from the lead truck and set them aside.

Ah yes, here's the problem. The gear tower is all gunked up.

Everything got a thorough cleaning with soapy water. Rinse and repeat for the trailing truck.
After putting it all back together and applying light lubrication, starting voltage is around 2.5V. Progress.

No comments: