Saturday, October 13, 2018

Papermill Conveyors


The long conveyor needs to be shortened by about an inch. A cut-off disk in the Dremel made this easy enough. While cutting, the roof popped off with a bang. ... Oh, right, I glued it on in only a couple spots to make it easier to remove. That approach clearly worked well, but not as I had intended...


Mission accomplished. I cut the conveyor end so that the support structure connects to the digester side and the belt meets the digester slightly above the top.


For the lower end of the conveyor, I built a mockup from paper with some styrene reinforcement. Time for the next test fitting at the club.


With that out of the way, I turned my attention back to the smaller conveyor units. The plan is to use them around the rotary dumper to transport wood chips to piles that will be represented only on the background. Typically these conveyors would have a covered top. I decided to assume some bracing structure that would carry a corrugated metal roof, and low profile metal sheeting for the sides.


The sides are Evergreen 0.020 x 0.250" strip styrene. The top is Evergreen's 4526 0.040" metal siding. I bent the siding lengthwise over a wooden curtain rod, and heated it with a hair dryer. I contemplated bending it harder to get a tighter arc, but this worked out sufficiently well. The thickness of the styrene sheet is visible to the side. I might grind this down a bit if I can't hide it with color.


Here are the three pieces with their covers. I cut the roofs a little bit too short and will add an external cross brace to hide that. Next stop: Paint booth.


Friday, October 12, 2018

Needs more work


The conveyor is a little bit too long and maybe slightly too steep. Nevertheless, this is getting closer to what I had in mind here.

Sunday, October 07, 2018

Module No. 1: Mistakes are for fixing


Before we went on our weekend trip, I noticed that one end plate of Module 1 was not 100% vertical. That's obviously bad, and I chalked it up to inexperience. ... However, mistakes exist to either not do them again, or at least try to fix them. A few hits to a chisel loosened the side boards and I was able to align the face plate. I'll let the glue dry for a while before removing the clamps ...

Saturday, October 06, 2018

Sunset near Gaviota Beach


Santa Barbara station


Santa Barbara still has a train depot with some character.


The ticket counter is not exactly busy.


The waiting room with quite a few people. The Surfliner from San Luis Obispo is delayed. On the way north some time later we saw the southbound Coast Starlight at a red signal. Pretty much on time, but once again local traffic messing up their schedule.


Surfliner in Santa Barbara


Friday, October 05, 2018

Waterworld


After all these years, this is still a good show.

Transformers


"DO NOT PRESS THOSE BUTTONS, LADIES!" 

The Mummy


Hogwarts


In the green houses of Hogwarts Castle.

Hogsmeade


Thursday, October 04, 2018

I-5, in the Middle of Nowhere


About 45 minutes north of Grapevine, CA, we're passing trucks while the sun is about to set.
 I can't decide which picture I like more, so you get to ... enjoy ... both.


Monday, October 01, 2018

Module No. 1: Covered


Tonight I continued with the module frame I started yesterday. I cut the intermediate crossbars to length and glued them into place. In a modular arrangement the legs would be mounted to the crossbars, so they'd support the whole module. I should add some corner pieces for additional support.
Next, I glued a 5mm thin piece of wood to the roadbed. This is where the track gets mounted on and will disappear under ballast later. I cut the pink foam to the proper width and trimmed the piece to fit.


With the second piece of pink foam installed, here's the module underside.


And the top.  While the module sits flat on the floor, one of the end plates is not 100% vertical, so it's unlikely that I will use this module in a modular arrangement. Nevertheless, I'll continue this build learn as much as I can from it.